I never updated about the cleanse I did from Gweneth Paltrow's website, GOOP. In a nutshell, it went really well. Sure, I had some issues, but for the most part it was tolerable. It helps that it's not an entirely liquid cleanse. But it's funny, even with one solid meal a day, I missed the act of eating, chewing.
Okay, so here is my take on it:
- I LOVED the smoothie and will make it again. The almond milk makes a huge difference—it has so much more flavor than rice or soy milk. Also, I used mangoes instead of blueberries, just because I had them. I used a whey protein powder that I got from Trader Joe's and used actual ProGreens for the greens powder. I high recommend getting it, too, because I think it tastes better than other greens powders. (Or so I've heard.) Here's what it looks like:
- I loved the carrot-ginger salad dressing. I even made it for Mark and David twice since I've been in LA and they loved it, too.
- I love the coconut water and will continue to drink it. I drank Vita Coco because I couldn't find fresh. (Well, I could, but it was too far from my apartment.) They say it's good for your skin.
- The miso soup is great, but I was totally grossed out by the bonito flakes. Bonito flakes are fish flakes that are used to flavor the broth. You add them to water and bring it to a boil, then remove them. This process was very messy for me (probably because I have a small kitchen) and I had fish broth everywhere by the time I was finished. Next time I make this soup I'll try to find a different way to flavor the broth.
- I had a terrible headache by the end of day two. I don't know if it was because of a sugar withdrawal or what, but it was not pleasant. Also, I was really irritable.
- By the end of day four I really wanted to eat something, so I made the rice from day seven's dinner.
- I stopped the cleanse after five days because I had had enough. However, on what would have been day six and seven, I found myself making the smoothie and salad dressing anyway because I liked them.
- My skin broke out during this whole thing, but that's to be expected during a cleanse.
- I learned all sorts of things during this, mostly because I did research. Like, when you do a cleanse, it doesn't have to be liquid. In fact, it's better to eat cleansing foods than no food at all. Like, for example, miso is one of the most perfect foods. It contains live enzymes and bacteria and aids in digestion, neutralizes blood toxins and helps clear the skin.